What to buy in Hanoi Vietnam
Table of Contents
There are various specialties on offer in Hanoi. They include snacks, drinks and the unique handcrafts widely available on the 36 Old Streets. Travelers can purchase these products in some central areas or the souvenir shops to give to their friends or family.
What to buy and where to buy in Hanoi Vietnam
1. Lacquer products, handicrafts, souvenirs
When coming to the Old Quarter, you can see a lot of souvenir shops located along Ly Quoc Su Street, Hang Gai Street, Hang Bong Street, the Big Church, Temple of Literature, Hang Khay Street, or Trang Tien Street, etc. Best things to buy in Hanoi are traditional handicrafts such as beautiful objects made of silver, ceramics, and jewelry. If you are going to buy some, you should visit the following:
- Craft Link – 43 &, 51 Van Mieu St., Dong Da Dist., Hanoi
- Craft Window – 99 Nguyen Thai Hoc St., Ba Dinh Dist., Hanoi
- Hoa Sua -63A Trang Thi St., Hoan Kiem Dist., Hanoi
- Lacasa – 12, the Big Church, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem Dist.
- Love Planet – 25, Hang Bac St., Hang Bac Ward, Hoan Kiem Dist
- Tan My Silk – 66 Hang Gai St., Hoan Kiem Dist
- Tuyet Lan – 10 Ly Quoc Su St., Hoan Kiem Dist
- XQ Hanoi – 88 Hue St., Hai Ba Trung Dist.
Many tourists are interested in silk. They seek silk for its many characteristics which are hard, rough or soft, cozy while its color is incredibly diverse. Along Hang Gai Street and Nha Tho street, there are many stores offering silk and traditional dress “ao dai,” hat, cloth, scarf, handbag, etc.
- Co – Hand Made Tailor, 18 the Big Church, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem Dist.
- Ha Dong Silk – 102 Hang Gai St., Hoan Kiem Dist.
- Khai Silk – 121 Nguyen Thai Hoc St., Ba Dinh Dist.
- Kana – 41 Hang Trong St., Hoan Kiem Dist.
- Kenly Silk – 108 Hang Gai St, Hoan Kiem Dist. – Tel: 826 7236
- Bambou Silk Tailors – 6 Nha Chung, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem Dist.- This is the best tailor in Hanoi
3. Salted Dry Apricot
Salted dry apricot is a Hanoi specialty. It is also the most popular food available in Hang Duong Street. The price of each type of apricot can vary. Tourists like salted dry apricot with ginger or chili, licorice, salted and sugared dry apricot.
Their price ranges from 80.000 VND/kg (4USD) to 100.000 VND/kg (5USD). Others made of fresh fruit just cost from 70.000 VND/kg (3 USD) to 80.000 VND/kg (4USD).
Where you should buy:
- Thanh Giang stores in Ngo Gach street.
- Ngo Gach, Tien Thinh, Toan Thinh, Gia Thinh or Hong Lam stores in Hang Duong Street
They are famous for selling the best salted dry apricot.
4. Young Rice Cake
The Young rice cake is another food you should not miss when visiting Hanoi. Over the past 130 years, it became a specialty of this place.
Talking about the old streets, people cannot ignore Hang Than, the old street with many food stores selling young rice cake. Its odor can totally catch your favorite.
You can get this following address to buy:
Nguyen Ninh Young rice cake, 11 Hang Than St., Ha Noi.
Visiting the night bazaar opening on weekends in Hanoi’s 36 streets:
Going to the market at night must be a great experience. It extends from Hang Dao St. to Dong Xuan Market. Stores in this place offer various products such as clothes, silk, handicrafts made of bamboo, ceramic. Most outstanding facilities, Van Phuc or Bat Trang, produce them.
However, the night market is not only available for purchasing. Apart from buying Hanoi’s unique products, tourists can also widen their knowledge about traditional Vietnamese activities like a classical operetta, tally card songs, etc.
They take place on Saturday night every week. Before leaving this site, you should ask the artist for drawing your portrait. Just 10 minutes for one picture, you can have another unique thing from Hanoi’s 36 streets.
Visiting Hanoi Old Quarter
Do not only visit the busy streets or crowded stores which attract a lot of travelers. It is ideal for you to wander around the small alleys on Hang Manh, Hang Bac. You can totally enjoy the peaceful life and see the former living places of the old Hanoi.
If you cannot communicate with locals well, it is better to visit the house built in the 1890s at 87 Ma May Street. At that time, you willsee the former lifestyle and understand why they maintain and protect the old quarter in Hanoi.